Thursday, March 26

the way to live, man.

There was a time when I lived out of a Honda Civic hatchback - with two roommates. To be fair, we were on a bit of a roadtrip departing from our current homes in the northwest. The three of us decided it was time for a change of scenery on a Sunday and departed for the trip on Wednesday. We mailed some small things to destinations we knew in time we'd reach, aka our parents' places, and permitted ourselves each a small backpack, a very small backpack. It was liberating. It was total bliss. 
Skip ahead a few years and I found myself on another sort of 5 week adventure period. I won't exactly have a permanent address, but you know I'll be somewhere between Brooklyn and Jamaica. I'm getting rid of as many material possessions as possible and holding on to old photographs of people I've never met. It's completely brilliant. I mean, why do we have such odd connections to inanimate objects like chairs and plates? I've often felt that I should rid myself of all of my material possessions, but at last I have an excuse to do it! Needless to say, the flannel shirt you've seen me in everyday for the last few weeks will be my staple shirt for the next 5 weeks and when I come back from Jamaica I'll probably where a bikini top underneath it for no reason at all, except for I think it's a good look.

In other news - I just noticed that they've been roofing the building across from me all day. I never close my giant 3 x 6' windows. And I actually showered today. Sorry to everyone who thinks visually.

1 comment:

Virgil Wetmore said...

I think my backpack was more of a duffel bag in size. Have another good adventure.
~Virgil~