Wednesday, March 11

The Wardrobe Issue.


I'm in the process of trying something new. After years of collecting clothes, I'm trying to minimize my wardrobe to the barest of essentials. This is uncommon for the ladies, but super normal for guys. I have friends that literally own one pair of pants and when those pants die, they replace them. It wouldn't even strike me as odd if they threw the old pair away in the store and wore the new ones out which basically makes them look like a homeless guy because everything else they have on is torn to shreds, but they have brand new $1 or - or $100 + pants on. If they have more than the six items they are typically seen in (medium condition sneakers or boots, no wait, always sneakers if they are this kinda guy, ok, so, sneakers, old jeans, token t-shirt, thermal shirt, usually zip sweatshirt sometimes pull-over, and some sort of windbreaker/leather jacket/denim jacket/or other variety of random pull it all together jacket so their mother doesn't worry. Oh - but guys love socks. What's that about? I could go on a serious tangent here, but I'll resist. I'm supposed to leave my apt in 4 minutes. Now I could go on a tangent about the common tardiness of New Yorkers - but I won't.

Sidenote - Why do men of all ages get a haircut before they see their mother? And if they don't, why do the mothers force the haircut on them? Shaved heads do not apply. 

In any case - I think I still have somewhere around too many items, but I'm trying to wear the same things. I have to say it makes getting dressed easier. High waisted blue jeans - we encounter the first problem - high pants mean I need heels. As I don't wear high heels everyday I already need two pairs of shoes. Wait. 3, I need 3 pairs of shoes. Heels, boots, moccasins. Grey tank top - problem 2. I'm a girl and should smell nice and wearing the same undershirt everyday leads me to smell more like a teenage  boy than desirable mid-twenties lady. Zip sweatshirt - the only problem here is that I have two zip sweatshirts I love and the one I like less has sentimental value - that's right boys. Chicks hang on to clothes because they have sentimental value. I don't know, we're sick and we need options. Or we're victims of a consumer based culture. Whoa. Not often do we/I (I am medium style) pull those tricks out of the bag.

 I gotta go. Let's finish the discussion at our next meeting.

1 comment:

Anna said...

i'm in love with my clothes! cleaning out my closet was HARD. but realized if i haven't used a piece since middle school, it will probably never be used again.

i'm impressed with everyone who has less then 5 pair of shoes.