Wednesday, February 11

Talking to myself.

At least once a week I am reminded that I often use my own sort of communication methods to talk. I always use words, but sometimes I don't use the correct words or I use too many, or, often, I don't use enough. I'll begin a conversation with the middle, then switch to another story, then tell the beginning of the original and then forget the ending and tell you something about the brussel sprouts I'm planning to eat for dinner. Today, I learned what it feels like to be on the other side of a conversation lead by me. It went something like this.

Person: (looking at Blackberry and seeming pleased)
Me: Ah, good news?
Person: . . . just finished his repertoire . . . it's not like a thesis . . . 
Me: (wondering what Person will say next, feeling a bit confused)
Person: (continues looking at Blackberry) . . . it's like writing but way more difficult or maybe it's not. Maybe the thesis is much more complex, the colors.
Me: (bewildered. Will I understand if more words come or simply remain puzzled?)
Person: It's like a cult.
Me: (lost. I think to myself I will clearly not understand what Person is thinking. Backstories will be involved. Brussel Sprouts will be eaten. Tea will run out. Time will run low. Confusion will sink in serious style. It could be hours or days until I understand what Person is thinking. Are they thinking anything or are they just throwing some words into air in order to process random thoughts?)
Person: (seems satisfied with said words)
Me: I used to hide in linen closets when I was a kid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that could have been me. haha!