Thursday, January 22

Gender Roles

When I write, often it's not in a journal that I keep on my old iBook. Most often, you'll find me writing and/or drawing stupid shit in a medium size MUJI notebook. They're like a dollar and they're the perfect size for a month's worth of random notes and sketches. Recently, I finished the last page in one. While scanning through to see what had been on my mind I found a few lovely drawings, one being the fine piece you see here.
Now, the thing is, usually these drawings come along after a bit of freewriting, they're extensions of what I have been writing about. After writing about the joys of peanut butter & jelly, the likes of which do not exist in Europe, I drew this small masterpiece. There are obvious gender roles here. The peanut butter is rather masculine. He looks smooth and a bit confused, kinda like the men I find myself attracted to. Then, there's jelly. She looks sweet and sassy in her heels and mascara covered lashes. She's even sparking a bit of a smile. It simply never occurred to me, peanut butter is the man, jelly is the lady. That's all.

No comments: